Despite its relatively small population and its wealth of natural resources, much of South America is burdened by economic, social, and environmental problems. But with the majestic Andean mountain chain, the mighty Amazon River, and the most extensive rain forest on Earth, South America has incredible potential.
Partly due to extreme weather and the geography of the continent natural disasters head the list of largest disasters. The flooding around Minas Gerais and Sao Paulo resulted in the loss of 900 lives in January 2011 and damage estimated at $1billion..
Earthquakes in Peru in 2007 and Concepcion, Chile in 2010 each left more than 500 people dead and millions affected. According to official sources after the magnitude 8.8 Concepcion earthquake, 525 people lost their lives, 25 people went missing and about 9% of the population in the affected regions lost their homes.
The UK Government issues the following travel advice:-
- Ascension Island (British Overseas Territory)
- British Antarctic Territory
- Falkland Islands (British Overseas Territory)
- French Guiana
- South Georgia & South Sandwich Islands (British Overseas Territory)
- St Helena (British Overseas Territory)
- Tristan da Cunha (British Overseas Territory)